[Speex-dev] VAD

Shantanu Gramsci shantanu_khan at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 17:55:18 PST 2006

Hello all,

I need help to get right usage of Voice Activity
Detection.

-- In my application, before sending audio packets
over
network I 'preprocess' them with speex preprocessor.
At initialization, I set the control option for VAD in
speex preprocessor [along with denoise, AGC etc]. And
then for every packet I call one single funtion
              speex_preprocess(,,,);
which does return 'pre-preocessed' audio sample.

-- With this implementation VAD works like that, if
input
voice is stationary [or background noise], preprossor
returns silence packets. So silcene packets are sent
if VAD is ON and there is no reduction in bitrate.

-- But I want to send nothing if silence is detected.
How can I know that speex preprocessor has detected
silence and I donot need to send this packet over
network?

Does speex_preprocess(,,,); return value mean anything
specific to VAD?

Or is three any flag that is set if silence is
detected?

Thanks in advance.

-- Shantanu