[Speex-dev] Algorithmic Delay

Tom Lukasiak tlukasiak at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 24 11:29:18 PST 2006

Hi,

I was hoping to get some clarification on the meaning of algorithmic latency in Speex.

For wideband signals, algorithmic delay is specified to be 34 ms (20 ms is the frame size and 14 ms is the lookahead).

Does this number (34 ms) account for the double-buffering on the input?

Assuming that the computation time and sound wave propagation time are negligible, should I expect compressed audio to be ready for network transmission 34 ms after the sound is created or 54 ms (the algorithmic delay of 34 ms + 20 ms for double-buffering at the ADC)?

Thanks,
Tom