[Speex-dev] Question from XM Radio

Carr, Terrance Terry.Carr at xmradio.com
Sun Nov 27 14:11:00 PST 2005

Thanks for the reply.  We are currently using AMBE (4Kbps) for our Traffic/Weather Channels.  If you have ever had a chance to hear the service, you will know that AMBE does not do us well.

I understand that 2Kbps is low quality, but any poorer than AMBE?

If can get a decent quality for other low bandwidth talk channels, such as about 10-16Kbps and have it sound rather clean, then I would be gaining a bit of growth in the areas I'm seeking.

None of this would be Music, understand.  Music needs it's bandwidth... just voice only channels like:

- Emergency Announcements
- Barkers (This channel is not yet scheduled for Air
- Traffic/Weather
- ...etc

Thanks again for the reply.

Terry Carr
Manager, Broadcast Applications
XM SATELLITE RADIO
1500 Eckington Place, NE (Flr-2, Ops Mgt)
Washington, DC 20002