[Speex-dev] Re: [iglance] iGlance audio/video pipeline

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Sat Nov 26 19:23:14 PST 2005

(Cross posted to speex-dev from iglance)

Enzo -- I haven't tried the fixed point engine, though I've considered
it for the WinCE port.  For the desktop/laptop edition I'm assuming the
slight short->float conversion cost will be made up by the improved
performance of the floating point implementation.  But I could be wrong:

1) Can anyone recommend whether Speex performs better in fixed-point or
floating point mode (assuming floating point is supported by the hardware)?

2) Does it perform so much better in floating point mode so as to
warrant the conversion from short->float?

3) Has anyone been able to capture audio samples in Win32 in native
floating-point format so the conversion can be eliminated?

-david