[Speex-dev] Questions about the denoiser

Mon Jul 18 12:44:12 PDT 2005

Hi,

First, the decoder is tuned for 20 ms frames, but should work for all
sampling rates. It's possible to make it less agressive, but I haven't
documented that yet.

	Jean-Marc

Le mercredi 13 juillet 2005 à 09:51 -0500, James Van Vleet a écrit :
>             Hello, I have been working with the denoiser in the Speex
> library and have a few questions.
>

> Some information before I get started:
>

> Speex version:               1.1.9 (as near as I could tell nothing
> new in the denoiser in cvs)
>
> Audio input:                   32bit float – 48000 sample rate (the
> input starts from jackd)
>

> The first thing I am finding is that I can understand the audio in a
> low noise environment, but even listening with low noise I can hear
> what I call an underwater sound in the background.  Kind of pops and
> clicks that sound like digital water.    The second thing is that as
> the noise gets more aggressive the beginnings and ends of words (or
> sentences if the words run close enough together) seem to get garbled.
> When there is low noise and the person is talking the audio does sound
> good and is completely understandable.
>

> This all said what I am wondering from the group is if this is a
> normal sound from the denoiser, or is it something in my
> implementation?  I can certainly record some audio and provide code
> snips if necessary – just let me know.
>

> These are some specific things I was thinking about trying – but I
> wanted to check with the group if I am missing some obvious first, or
> if there is anything different I should be looking at:
>

>      1. Should I try to use something like libsamplerate and get the
>         samplerate down to 8000?
>      2. Is there a way to tell the denoiser to be a little less
>         aggressive?  Other tuning hints in the code?
>

> Thanks!
>

> -James

Jean-Marc Valin <Jean-Marc.Valin at USherbrooke.ca>
Université de Sherbrooke