[Speex-dev] PESQ results for speex 1.0.3

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sun Jul 3 01:55:27 PDT 2005

Steve Underwood wrote:
> Ben Greear wrote:
>
>> Francois Menard (Mailing List Account) wrote:
>>

>>> did you try speex in wideband mode ... what bitrate?
>>>
>>> f.
>>

>> 15kbps mode.  It does significantly better with a different
>> speaker (the male does better than the female), as well.
>

> Most CELP based codecs do a better job with lower pitched voices, so
> male voices tend to sound better than female voices.

Good information, thanks!

>> I'm hoping this might allow Speex & similar developers test their
>> codecs in some standardized manner without having to pay the thousands
>> of dollars for a PESQ license...
>

> PESQ is being pushed hard to people with limited knowledge of the
> subject, and the superficially useful results it produces sells
> licences. Beware of the true value of things which make money. Snake oil
> makes money. :-)

Heh, I make network testing software...and people are asking for the
PESQ snake oil...so I'm bottling it up.  It's definately useful for
automated testing and regression testing, but I'd agree that it is
not the total solution.

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>