[Speex-dev] Encoding and decoding problem in speex 1.0.4

Vinod Vijayan vinod at speechdesk.com
Wed Jan 5 22:00:18 PST 2005

> I don't know much about windows "Wave" stuff, but this doesn't look right:
>
>>  m_WaveFormatEx.wFormatTag          = WAVE_FORMAT_PCM;
>>  m_WaveFormatEx.nChannels           = 1;
>>  m_WaveFormatEx.wBitsPerSample      = 8;
>>  m_WaveFormatEx.cbSize              = 0;
>>  m_WaveFormatEx.nSamplesPerSec      = 8000;
>>  m_WaveFormatEx.nBlockAlign         = 1;
>>  m_WaveFormatEx.nAvgBytesPerSec     = 8000;
>>

> You want 16 bits per sample, and 16000 bytes per second...

 I beg to differ.
 I used the same format for recording as above and saved it to a WAV file.
 Then I encoded the WAV file using the Speex command line encoder.
 I then decoded the generated speex file using the Speex command line
 decoder and found that the newly decoded sample and the original one was
 nearly the same. I repeat I had used the same wave format as above.
 How is this possible?