[Speex-dev] iLBC "no charge, but not open-source"

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Tue Feb 22 15:45:07 PST 2005

Pierre Dumuid wrote:

> I was just looking at the page:
> http://www.speex.org/comparison.html
> and noticed:
> --- Snip ---
> iLBC <http://www.ilbcfreeware.org/> 	8 	13.3 	30
> 	yes
> 	no charge, but not open-source
> --- Snip ---
> But when I went to that link, it seemed that:
> --- Snip ---
>     iLBC is /free/
> Unlike the other low bitrate codecs, iLBC is available for free and
> comes with full source code. If you would like to try it out and use
> it, please see freeware license.
> <http://www.ilbcfreeware.org/documentation/gips_iLBClicense.pdf>.
> --- Snip ---
> I'm a bit curious that you have labelled this "not open-source".  I
> had a quick read of the license, and it seemed a bit restrictive, (not
> allowing for forking of code that would break functionality with their
> bit stream, etc...)
> Maybe a better sentence would be "no charge, source available,
> restrictive licensing on source (not open-source)"

Yeah, but that wouldn't fit in the box.

Anyway, the most commonly accepted definition of open-source would not
consider the iLBC codec to be open-source.  See
http://opensource.org/docs/definition.php Section 3:

"The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow
them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the
original software."

This license restricts modifications.