[Speex-dev] speex algorithm

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Oct 9 23:19:08 PDT 2004

Hi,

I don't think code exists, but easy to implement techniques do.

Try looking up time domain harmonic scaling (TDHS) or pitch synchronous
overlap and add (PSOLA). These provide variable speed without a pitch
change. Take care using PSOLA - France Telecom has patents on it. The
overlap and add part is very simple to implement, but you really want to
sync to the F0 contour of the voice for best results. That takes some
real work with linear voice data. However, with most low bit speech
codecs, speex included, the pitch information you need is already in the
data. So, if you take the speex pitch information, decode the speex to
linear samples, and then apply the overlap and add technique synced to
the F0 cycles you get pretty nice results. I've done this in digital
answering machines in the past using another CELP based codec.

Regards,
Steve