[Speex-dev] speex crackling sound

amiel montecillo bosyotech
Mon Jul 26 18:50:27 PDT 2004

hi,

im a student from a local university in our place. i'm
not sure if this is the place to post this question so
please pardon me if im wrong.

my questions is that when i transfer speex encoded
samples through a rtp session wire, upon receiving the
samples i immediately decode and play them, but i get
a crackling sound when i decode and play each sample
received.

1) i used 160*5 as my wave buffer length when
recording with a 8000 sample rate, 16 bits per sample
and mono channel. i have set these values before
recording/encoding:
SPEEX_SET_QUALITY=8
SPEEX_SET_BITRATE=15000
SPEEX_SET_VBR=1
SPEEX_SET_VBR_QUALITY=6.0f
SPEEX_PREPROCESS_SET_DENOISE=1
speex version: 1.1.5

are these values correct?

2) do i have to buffer like N amount of samples before
i play them? if i do then would it degrade the
realtime playback of the recorded sound?

3) what would be the suggested buffer length of my
wave buffer so that i can get a smooth and continous
playback?

i apologize for a long email. i would gladly
appreciate your help with this. thanks.

amiel