[speex-dev] Is Speex realy patent free?

Carsten Breuer CarstenBreuerSpeex at textwork.de
Fri Nov 28 12:58:47 PST 2003

Hi Clive,

> Well, apparently, no pure software solution can be patented (hardware can),
> least that's what I saw on the national news here in the UK 2 weeks ago.

Well, that is prety wrong. It is right on the paper, but the EPA
which - i shame about taht - resides in my city have allready accepted
ilegaly over 10000 trival patents on allgorithem and so one, so it
becomes hart to fight them. There are some professor's who say's, that
it is not posible to create a free VoIP solution wihtout breaking some
patents.

Read the stuff at http://www.swpat.ffii.org and you will see that
we - the open source developer - are threaten by patent lawyers
and that this could be the end of any open source software for
a longer time.

See als the petition from eurolinux.org.

PS: Send this to your friend so thhat they can sign the petition from
eurolinux!