[speex-dev] Server based audio merge

David Willmore willmore at optonline.net
Thu Nov 20 17:43:07 PST 2003

> I tend to disagree.  It normal human conversation it wouldn't make much
> sense to have 2 people talking over each other at the same time.  Thus,
> it most scenarios you would have only one talker anyway.  Additionally,
> encode->decode/mix/encode->decode isn't a very efficient CPU process for
> a server, it's complicated to keep timing correct and it has a negative
> impact on total latency.

True, but there is one critical place where it's necessary to mix at least
two streams--when someone's trying to break into a stream.  If speaker A
goes on and on and speaker B (or C, D, E, F...) wants to interject or
interrupt, who do they do it without inband without mixing?

> The overhead required to mix merge and re-encode is usually not worth
> the benefit as in most situations you are not really saving any
> bandwidth.

But the options are *don't transcode* and *always transcode*.  Switching
between them is difficult to do on the fly.

The 'obvious' solution seems to be run N processes to detect 'speech'
or important audio content on the incoming N streams.  Pick on or
two that need output, then mix and recode them.  If the detection is
done in the client, then the servers job is much simpler--arbitrate,
mix, and encode.  Since the overlap periods of the mixing are going
to be infrequent and discontinuous, you don't have to be sample
exact--no stream synchronization required.

So, I'd say any maching that can decode two streams, encode one stream,
and do a little overhead should be able to act as a server.

Hey, the client has to be able to encode in speex in real time, anyway,
why waste that effort?

Cheers,
David