[speex-dev] Videoconferencing with speex and jabber

Carsten Breuer CarstenBreuerSpeex at textwork.de
Tue Nov 18 13:42:07 PST 2003

Hi all,

them how to send speex data with the jabber instant
messaging protocol.

I have added the mail adter this one. If someone here
has any experience with jabber and speex please let me
know.

Thanks,

Hi all,

im new on this list, so i want to introduce myself.
I'm a software developer working for a big car company in germany
(the fast ones) and i am part of the engine control team.

Topic:
This mail contains some questions how to support videoconferencing
with the jabber protocol.

Why i doing this:
My mother live in california and i want to make videoconferences with
her. She use WinXP and is never even thinking off to change to linux.
My newest Windows is 98 and Microsoft doesn't support Videoconferencing
between  98 and XP anymore. I was never happy with the M$ Netmeeting stuff,
because i have to nearly switch off my firewall  to let this messy H323
in. But now
this is really anoying because the want to push the people to XP and i
have enaugh
of that. I have searched the open source scene a long long time if
someone change
the chanlenge, but it doesn't happened. So it was time for me to start
up with
my own stuff.

Why i dont like SIP or H323:
The problem with these protocols is that they starts a second assynchcon
connection on a unknown port. So i cant say the firewall waht to open.
As i know,
microsoft switchs off the firewall for 30 seconds after a H323 call is
initiated.
This is realy a bad joke. So one of my goals is to have only some ports
to handle
the "small entity" conections. I like Jabber ihere very much. It uses
only one port
and that's the way i like it.

What i want to have:
- A messenger program to start up the connection and chat etc.
- A video and audio connection with two or more people.
- Server based video and audion broadcasting if the connection
    is used by more then two people. The audio could be merged
    on the server and  sent to each client.
- Single or double port usage for the connections. Not more.
- Firewall friendly.

My questions:
- I have readed that jabber supports streams . Is there a way to
    transmit audio (www.speex.org) and video (mpeg4ip?) within the
    jabber protocol.
- Are there any plans to doing so?
- What do you think about that. Is it posible. What's about the performance?
    How can it be made?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Best Regards,