[speex-dev] Speex settings and jitter

Chris Flerackers cflerackers at androme.be
Tue May 20 09:04:39 PDT 2003

Hi,

Is there are document where the interaction between all the configuration
options of speex is explained?
Speex seems to have CBR, VBR and ABR. You can also use SPEEX_SET_QUALITY
(SPEEX_SET_VBR_QUALITY) and SPEEX_SET_BITRATE which I suppose can't be set
at the same time. Is there a list of possible combinations somewhere?

I also have another question related to jitter. To minimize jitter, you
usually need to make the audio
shorter and longer and preferably while keeping it sound smooth. What is the
best way to do this
with speex? I saw that you can pass NULL to the decode function to generate
an audio frame which
might be used to make the audio longer. Will speex always generate a
"fluent" audio stream (without ticks, ...)
when inserting these NULLs. And is dropping a packet a viable way to make
the audio shorter?

Best regards,
Chris