[speex-dev] input format

X-Fixer x-fixer at narod.ru
Thu Feb 20 09:21:02 PST 2003

just to check that I've got everything right.
the encoder allows as input
- mono only
- 8 or 16 bits as floating point numbers (without scaling to 1.0).
floating-point wavs (IEEE) will also work, but it's better to scale
them to something like 8000.
- any sample rate (should be set with speex_encoder_ctl), but prefered
are 8/16/32 kHz. but what modes should I use for a given rate?

also
- what bit rates are allowed?
- what's the difference between quality and complexity? complexity
does not affect decoder speed while quality does?

also, to have a "legal" ACM codec one should register at microsoft
(get MID, PID and format tag). is this somehow possible? I mean Xiph
is a solid organization.