[speex-dev] Chopping off the wideband?

Bernard Blackham b-speex at blackham.com.au
Tue Feb 18 18:35:26 PST 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 09:06:16PM -0500, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
> BTW, when you have something working and stable, I could include it in
> the main Speex distribution.

Hmmm, define working and stable :)

<braindump topic="speexcat">
It began as a merge between speexdec and speexenc from 1.0beta3,
with the encoding/decoding removed, and simply piped in and out from
ogg streams. I never expected it would work joining different
bitrate/encoding streams, but just then I tested joining an 8000Hz
narrowband stream with a 16000 Hz wideband, and the output sounds
pretty sane. The interface is:

peexcat --title "new title" --author "new author" \
   file1.spx start_frame end_frame file2.spx start_frame end_frame ...

Ideally, you should be able to specify the time as
hours:mins:seconds.splitseconds rather than frame numbers (by bash
you can just do $(((min*60+sec)*50)) but it's tacky).

I discovered the magic number 50 somewhere as being the number of
speex frames per second... is this a universal constant that can be
guaranteed?

It also does some black magic and contortion with granule_pos, so
the XMMS player knows how long the file is and can seek without too
much effort.

I'll probably clean up speexcat first, and then get speexdec doing
consecutive streams. The other reason for the creation of speexcat
is that the XMMS plugin does not like seeking within anything
except the first logical stream. I may pick up this as well as I
haven't heard anything back from Jens and his site has disappeared.
</braindump>

Thanks for listening :) Comments welcome!

Regards,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham