[speex-dev] Speex test cases? and XMMS speex plugin

Bernard Blackham b-speex at blackham.com.au
Mon Feb 10 19:35:01 PST 2003

> Btw, has anyone else noticed that the Speex XMMS plugin is missing? While
> speexdec works well, I'd kinda like to use XMMS.

Yes, I mailed the web master and Jens about it a few days ago.  I
have the version I'm currently using which was based on an old
version of Jens and has streaming support. It's a bit queer on
seeking, and crashes XMMS if you seek while in pause, but it does
work otherwise. Available from http://dagobah.ucc.asn.au/speex-xmms/

As a random aside, I've been compiling together the speex'd audio
recordings from Linux.conf.au 2003 (which was a blast!). I'm running
a program called normalize over them to bring them all to the same
level. The originals were encoded with speex 1.0beta4, and I'm
decoding with rc2, normalizing and reencoding with rc2 ... I was
expecting a loss of quality, but they actually sound *better* (even
without normalizing) - the audio sounds clearer.

Whether or not this was expected with rc2, I'd like to give a huge
thank you to Jean-Marc and anybody else involved for developing such
a high quality codec!

Best wishes,

Bernard.

--