[speex-dev] RE: [Speex-devel] Subject: Problems with win32 port of Speex

Graham Fawcett fawcett at uwindsor.ca
Wed Nov 6 12:03:37 PST 2002

> > I had no trouble building the ogg, vorbis and speex libraries. Also,
> > speexenc.exe built correctly. However, speexdec.exe will build but does
not
> > create output (either to soundcard or to pcm/wav) and eventually
crashes.

> I'm not sure I understand. In the first part, you say you have trouble
> building speexdec and here you say speexdec does build but does not
> work. Can you explain?

Sorry -- yes, I could build speexdec, but the resulting executable was
crashing on (what I thought was) a valid input (but see below). I mistakenly
assumed that the build had reported no error but had essentially failed
(since the result was non-functional).

> > For example, calling "speexdec.exe \temp\1.spx" results in the following
> > sent to stderr:
> >
> > "ded with Speex 0.8.0"
>
> OK, perhaps you're trying to decode a file that was encoded with Speex
> 0.8.0, but there was a slight change in the format of the comments which
> might cause more important errors... Try with a newly encoded file.

Ahhh.... that's what it is! I see now that the source I checked out was
1.0beta2. My .spx files were indeed encoded with 0.8.0.

I just encoded a new file with my newly built speexenc.exe (1.0beta2) and my
speexdec.exe processed it correctly.

I'm sorry for the confusion. It hadn't occured to me that the 0.8.0 and
1.0beta2 files would be incompatible.

Thanks so much for your prompt reply!

Regards,

-- Graham