[speex-dev] Bitrate in encoder

Pontus Carlsson pontus at popwire.com
Wed Nov 20 11:52:17 PST 2002

Hi,

I'm using the latest version of libspeex (checked out today) and have
some problems with checking the target bitrate in the encoder. Calling:

peex_encoder_ctl(globals->enc_state,SPEEX_GET_BITRATE, &bitrate);

Seems to set bitrate to 24600 no matter what the qualitysetting is.. The
functions used previous to this call is:

peex_bits_init(&globals->bits);
globals->enc_state = speex_encoder_init(&speex_nb_mode);
speex_encoder_ctl(globals->enc_state,SPEEX_SET_COMPLEXITY,..);
speex_encoder_ctl(globals->enc_state,SPEEX_SET_QUALITY, ..);
speex_encoder_ctl(globals->enc_state,SPEEX_GET_BITRATE, &bitrate);

The last line always sets the bitrate to 24600.. Why? In my previous
installation of libspeex I had the same problem, but then bitrate was
always set to 15000.. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

/Pontus