[speex-dev] Packet Loss

Brian C. Wiles brian at streamcomm.com
Thu Nov 14 11:59:51 PST 2002

   I've just started testing Speex, and it seems very good so far.  In
testing the Speex decoder and simulating packet loss, I noticed that simply
not calling speex_decode(st, NULL, output) when a packet is dropped doesn't
appear to degrade the quality of the audio later on.

   The reason for this test is that in a real-time situation, you may not
know right away when a packet is dropped vs. just out of order, etc.  Plus,
I wanted to see if it was necessary to call speex_decode() for each lost
packet, or just once to indicate to the decoder that it needs to re-adjust
its state.

   Has anyone else experimented with this to determine how best to handle
lost packets with Speex?  Thanks.
        -Brian