[Playlist] question about the XSPF specs

Benoît Gréant gordie.lachance at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 19:04:24 UTC 2020

Lucas,

Here's some of my thoughts.  Most of them are related to the new way people
do listen to music : often from Spotify, or on some other services, where
the playlists are constantly updated and don't have audio files but stream
links.

*Stream sources*
There is something to do about the location and the links attribute.
A track could have some locations (audio files) and links (eg. wikipedia
entry), but where should I put stream sources (links to spotify, youtube,
apple music, ...) ?
It looks like they don't fit any category.  + sometimes, a stream source is
available in one country but not in another.
Maybe we would need a new attribute here for those stream sources.
Also, it would be great to be able to set not only URLs for them
(files/links/streams), but a title.
It's a bit weird to display some URLs without knowing what will be opened
behind.
I could have a script that would request every URL to get a title, but
well, that would be a lot of requests for a playlist.
So maybe all those attributes (location/link/stream) could have both an URL
and a title. And why not even more...

*Total tracks*
When I fetch a playlist (eg. Spotify API), i will get X tracks back,
depending of their API. Spotify has a 100 tracks limit.
But they do return the number of total tracks.
So we could have an XSPF playlist that contains 100 tracks but  knowing
that there is more to load.

4.1.1.2.8 date

*Creation date (not last-modified date) of the playlist, formatted as a XML
schema dateTime. xspf:playlist elements MAY contain exactly one.*

The current attribute is for the creation date, but it would be useful to
have an *updated date*.  Most playlists now, on Spotify or such, are
constantly updated.  It would be nice to have their creation time but also
their last modified time.

In the same idea, I would personally like to have an attribute for *expiration
date* (time).
Why ? My app (for instance) currently loads XSPF playlists and do refresh
them every X time.
A playlist generated from a radio station would refresh after 5 minutes
because it contains only 5 tracks.
But a curated playlist on Spotify would be refreshed every, let's say, 1
day; depending on its activity.
It would be cool to be able to set an expiry time.

That's all I see for now, what do you think of it ?

Thanks for your interest.

Benoît

>>> 'https://open.spotify.com/track/3FgDF8tNn6aqB7ycygy7ch',
>>> 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA3P1-aSvKQ',