[Playlist] question about the XSPF specs

Lucas Gonze lucas at gonze.com
Tue Mar 24 17:17:09 UTC 2020

After reading your more detailed issue description on Stack Overflow, I
have posted this answer there.

You should use the identifier element (
http://xspf.org/xspf-v1.html#rfc.section.4.1.1.2.14.1.1.1.2) for things
like Spotify links.

The info element can also do what you need (
http://xspf.org/xspf-v1.html#rfc.section.4.1.1.2.14.1.1.1.6), but you can
only have one per track, so you couldn't cover more than one streaming
service.

Regarding the many years since the last update of the spec, maybe it's time
to work on one. A blessed JSON version would be useful.

It's productive to discover that the spec is not clearly communicating this
information. In the time we wrote the spec most functioning Internet music
was an MP3 on a web server. Now streaming services do the job. We could
possibly fix this with an update to the documentation. For example, the
sample playlists at http://xspf.org/quickstart/ could show how to do it.