[Playlist] am I using the "extension" field correctly?

Nathaniel Beaver nathanielmbeaver at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:55:45 PST 2016

On 12/23/2015 01:04 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> Yes, the syntax of your usage is correct.
>
> This is a really good idea for an extension. Nobody has done a fingerprint yet.

Thanks! It was pretty straightforward because most of the work had
already been done.

> About the idea that there is no fully functional content resolver
> available yet, I don't think of this as a binary yes/no. Resolvers are
> analogous to search engines which may return only a single result.
> Over time the results have slowly gotten better as one project
> improves on the state of the art. Your project has the potential to
> push the state of the art once again. Pretty awesome.
>
> The best current resolver AFAIK is Tomahawk. Those guys would totally
> appreciate what you're doing.

I'd heard about Tomahawk before, but haven't actually installed it until
you suggested it. I must say I'm impressed. The ability to transparently
pull from multiple sources for a single song is something I've been
wanting in an audio player for a long time.

One area where the acoustic fingerprints could help would be in
preventing censorship (or enforcing it, I suppose). For example,
Kendrick Lamar's "King Kunta" is listed on Spotify twice, once with
censored version:

https://open.spotify.com/track/043Rs5H7XAV2soPAy88x02

and again with the "explicit" version:

https://open.spotify.com/track/0N3W5peJUQtI4eyR6GJT5O

Unfortunately, the album name is the same ("To Pimp A Butterfly") and
the track name and duration (3:54.74) are also identical, so Tomahawk
can't distinguish them.

Should I start with a feature request for Tomahawk on Github?

> And obviously the Musicbrainz faction would also get it.
>
> What will be difficult for you is developing a large catalog of
> fingerprints. Have you checked in with the MB folks? They used to do
> fingerprinting. And it would be natural to use MB IDs for the
> underlying catalog.

Yeah, it will be trickier for songs that aren't available as a local
file. I haven't talked to MusicBrainz, but I do know they use AcoustIDs,
which run the Chromaprint algorithm under the hood.

https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Fingerprinting

They link to several fingerprints for "King Kunta":

https://acoustid.org/track/c854f40f-aa37-42c0-9d95-13b5ff0c5328

> Happy to make introductions.

That would be great. Application support is important, and I would
really like to see XSPF become more widely adopted. Right now it seems
like most streaming services are allergic to interoperability.