[Paranoia] Specify max amount of re-read or corrections (per sector) in paranoid mode?

Merlijn B.W. Wajer merlijn at archive.org
Tue Mar 31 14:46:51 UTC 2020

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into limiting the amount of
re-reads and corrections cdparanoia will attempt to do for a single
sector (or at an even lower level). I find that for quite some CDs,
cdparanoia will try re-reading specific parts many, many times.

I've logged all the callbacks with --stderr-progress, mapped "cdframes"
to sectors to seconds of an audio CD, and for some parts, over 700000
correction() callbacks are issued for a single second (so 75 seconds).

Ripping a CD (in some cases) in it's entirety takes over 7 hours.
Ripping the same CD without any paranoia (-Z or -Y) will often finish
within minutes. Around the sectors that are problematic, the no-paranoid
mode will usually sound worse, and sometimes entire samples are gone.

So there is a clear advantage to using paranoia, but I can't help but
wonder if 7000000 reads and corrections are really required for a single
second of audio. Is there a way to set a cap on the amount of retries
for any given sector, so that I can attempt to strike a balance between
quality and time spent ripping? [1]

A sample breakdown of such a rip log looks like this [2] - 30 million
correction callbacks. Being able to impose an upper limit would likely
be helpful.

Regards,
Merlijn

[1] --never-skip=<number> doesn't seem to help here, since the drive is
not skipping, as far as I can tell.

[2] $ python breakdown.py ../5-legare-street-d3-t2/paranoid-1/log.txt
wrote 327631
finished 14
read 250191
verify 456005