[Paranoia] unable to rip some audio cds that play without error

richardm rjmnook at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 10:09:31 PDT 2015

I have a few audio CDs that refuse to be ripped by cdparanoia.  It's
usually the last track that causes the problem. Lots of transport
errors. I can rip these tracks with -Z (after several hours) and I get a
bunch of eees in the status msg. The resulting wav file doesn't play at
all well. Lots of skips. However if I play the cd on an audio system I
never seem to get a problem - not one that I notice.

Are there some aspects of audio encoding that aren't handled by
cdparanoia? I have wondered whether audio CD tolerances are not as close
as those required for DVD-ROM or RW drives?.  I've tried several drives
to rip from - all with the same result.

The CDs in question are not SACDs - they seem to be regular audio CDs
produced by Warner Music France. I've also returned then to Amazon for
replacements but the same behavious. The can't be read by cdparanoia or
any other audio cd software eg vlc.

Any one have any insight into that is happening. Are these discs faulty?

I'm running on Ubuntu  with cdparanoia III 10.2

--
Regards,
Richard J Moore

sent from my Linux device