[Paranoia] Ripping physically scratched CD's

Paolo Saggese pmsa4-xiph at yahoo.it
Fri Dec 5 08:23:41 PST 2014

On 2014-12-05 16:53, xiphmont at xiph.org wrote:

>> refusing to rip a CD that is not perfectly readable is expected behavior;
>> even, in a sense, the design goal.
>
> Well, not really.  Refusing to do what a user legitimately wants to do
> is not a goal to strive for.

perhaps you haven't got the whole point: cdparanoia is not about "just
ripping" whatever, it is all about *perfect ripping*.

What a typical cdparanoia user expect is that the rip is either perfect
(a perfect copy of the original) or the whole process fail.

That is, more or less the current default behavior.

If you don't care about rip quality, there are really no reasons to use
cdparanoia (or libparanoia) in the first place. You can use cdda2wav or
any other (unsafe) ripping software instead.

The only objection that I may rise WRT the current behavior is that IMO
there should be some reasonable check/timeout so that, if a track or CD
can not be ripped without errors within some reasonable amount of time,
the software should fail returning a proper error rather than "hanging"
trying and retrying forever.

Paolo.