[Paranoia] How to get sector values for progress bar?

Holger Koch holger1 at zentralplan.de
Wed Oct 27 15:29:42 PDT 2010

Hello everybody!

I am currently working on a CD ripper front end for cdparanoia. My
problem is to find a way to get the current sector of the CD that is
being ripped to update the respective progress bar of the application's
gui. At the moment I use a python method like this:

     def button1_clicked(self, widget):
         task = self.actRip(11)
         gobject.idle_add(task.next)

     def actRip(self, n):
         cmd = ("cdparanoia", "-e", "-Z", "-B", "-v", "-d", "/dev/scd0",
str(n), "/home/atarax/Desktop/Rip/ripper03/wav")
         ripping = subprocess.Popen(cmd, stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
         log = open("/home/atarax/Desktop/Rip/ripper03/log", "w")
         for line in ripping.stderr:
             if "[read]" in line:
                 low = 187762512.0  # offset value found in log file
                 high = 197609160.0  # finish value found in log file
                 position = float(line[(line.rfind(" ") + 1):-1])
                 self.entry1.set_text(str(position))
                 fraction = (position - low) / (high - low)
                 self.progressbar1.set_fraction(fraction)
                 percent = int(fraction * 100)
                 self.progressbar1.set_text("Track " + str(n) + ": " +
str(percent) + " %")
                 log.write(line)
             yield True
         yield False

This is just a reduced snippet as an example of the procedure. The
output of ripping.stderr returns lines that contain completely different
values as the track info created by cdparanoia -Q, like this:
##: 0 [read] @ 187984776
I cannot find an obvious relationship between those values of
ripping.stderr and the sector values. Even the values of [read] and
[wrote] are not congruent. When ripping the CD via command line I get
the rich bargraph (http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/faq.html#progbar) that
seems to be pretty useful, but how can I redirect this output to my
script, while ripping.stderr offers much poorer information?

Thank you for your assistance.
Holger Koch