[Paranoia] Audio data varies from drive to drive?

Paolo Saggese pmsa4-xiph at yahoo.it
Wed Feb 10 01:45:41 PST 2010

On Tuesday 09 February 2010, Laurent Charrière wrote:

> I noticed that the resulting cdda.wav files are different from drive to
> drive. When I look at the files in vbindiff I can see that the
> differences are scattered throughout the files.

which version of cdparanoia are you using? if it is older than 10.2
that would be the result of the well known "cache bug".

have you checked your drives with "cdparanoia --analyze-drive" ?

are you sure that the differences you see are not just in the "silence"
at the beginning (and/or at the end) of the track and/or a "byte‐shift"
between the files?

try comparing the wav files using "shncmp -s":

 http://www.etree.org/shnutils/shntool/

If you are using the latest cdparanoia, the drives verifies ok, the
tracks are indeed different and the CDs are not badly scratched, that
would be worrisome... :-/

in such a case, could you try to repeat the extraction using "EAC" and
report what happen? (it is a closed-source "freeware" windows software,
but may be run on Linux using WINE).

Oh, could you tell us which CDs are you using? (if I happen to have them,
I'll try to extract them myself).

Ciao,
                                Paolo.

--
You can still escape from the GATES of hell: Use Linux!
Save a tree: