[Paranoia] what do the error correction settings mean???

Sam Ashley samfwd at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 16 14:21:43 PDT 2009

Hi all. As I (think I) understand it, when using paranoia to rip an audio CD one can invoke error correction with a setting that takes an option with a value from 0 to 3, with 0 meaning no correction and 3 meaning full "paranoia". But nowhere have I managed to find out specifically what those settings mean, that is, exactly what error correction actions happen in each of those cases.

I ask because I want to use cdrdao (with the paranoia library) to rip CDs of my own work, things I have burned over the years. As it happens, much of my work sounds not unlike "pink noise", and I wouldn't want, for example, software (with the best of intentions) to decide that my work was just a continuous stream of scratches--and then to go and filter it somehow. Somehow I get the idea that "2" would be reasonable for me, but that's not based on much.

If I haven't posted this in the right place, or have broken some other rule, then please forgive. I'm new to this posting-questions thing.

Thanks in advance,
Sam