[Paranoia] cdparanoia vs EAC

Fredrik Öberg crazyswede at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 01:40:20 PDT 2009

Hi all,
sorry if this has been asked before (I guess it have), but I could not
find any old message in the archives on this topic, so here we go.

I have been using EAC for ripping music as long as I can remember.
When I was on Windows, it was the natural choice. A couple of years
ago I switched to Linux, but I have been using EAC together with wine
since the switch.

The reason for using EAC instead of cdparanoia has been that EAC has
been able to handle drives with caches, while cdparanoia hasn't. Now I
see that there is a new version (since September last year) which seem
to be able to handle drives with caches.

If I understand it correctly, cdparanoia is now able to handle drives
with caches, just like EAC. Is this correct?

I run the cdparanoia -A test on my drive, and it ended up with
something like "Drive tests OK with Paranoia." Does this mean that the
rips done with cdparanoia will be as accurate as the ones done with
EAC?

Thanks in advance

/crazy