[Paranoia] cdparanoia 10.2 crashes system during drive detect

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Jan 20 16:07:47 PST 2009

> I recently attempted to upgrade from cdparanoia 9.8 (which I've been using
> successfully for years on a variety of systems) to 10.2.  Alas, 10.2 seems
> to be causing hard, 100% reproducible crashes during drive detection, even
> running the static binary from the xiph website.
>
> I've done my homework on the website (bug reports, "troubleshooting" section,
> mailing list) and googled of course, but have not seen any mention of this.

Ah, tripping a bug in the kernel is never fun to debug.  I have a few
guesses as to what may be going wrong, and the kernel having an
overinflated idea of what DMA transfer sizes the Thinkpad can handle
is high on the list.

I'm going to be doing a sweep of the various bug reports that have
come in since 10.2 for an upcoming release soon and will have a few
things for you to try if you're still there and still willing.

Thanks for the report!  Reports are important!

Monty