[Paranoia] cdparanoia, sector offset and last track

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Feb 6 10:23:35 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Paul C. Bryan <email at pbryan.net> wrote:
> Dear fellow users and Monty, o admired king of cdparanoia:
>
> I've dug into the code a bit, and I *think* the way cdparanoia works is
> it will not try to read past what it thinks is the last sector of the
> last track. If you set a positive sector offset, this would mean it pads
> the last track with zeroes. Am I correct?

Actually, passing an offset (with -t or -O) is supposed to be handled
as a case of 'the drive is reporting boundaries incorrectly'.  The
information returned by the TOC query is adjusted by the provided
offset, so reads are done as if the CDROM drive had reported a table
of contents with the adjusted offsets.  The hardware may balk at this,
of course...

Monty