[Paranoia] buffer underruns?

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Thu Jul 17 11:09:08 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 01:48:34PM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> I occasionally hear what sound like small buffer underruns in files ripped with
> cdparanoia using the default options.  Re-ripping gives me a good file.
>
> Is it possible that buffer underruns are occuring and cdparanoia can't do
> anything about it?  Can I tell cdparanoia to keep re-ripping the track until it
> gets two identical copies?

Just to justify/clarify, I ripped the same audio track twenty times and diffed
each of the resulting .wav files.  I found that one of those files was different
from all the others, even though cdparanoia's output and return code was
identical in all cases.

My cdparanoia --version is "cdparanoia III release 10pre0 (August 29, 2006)".

I'm contemplating writing a shell script that wraps cdparanoia and performs the
requested rip three times, only keeping one set of files for which the same
result was obtained by one other rip.

Thoughts?  Is this unnecessary?  Is it my drive's fault?

Thanks,
Forest
--
Forest Bond