[Paranoia] Pre-emphasis and Pre-gap info?

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Jul 15 17:35:03 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:32 AM, Grant <emailgrant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I use cdparanoia to get pre-emphasis and pre-gap info on my CDs?
> I thought 'cdparanoia -Q' was giving me pre-gap info, but I've read
> that it isn't accurate and I have yet to see it report "pre yes".

the 'pre' in the TOC listing isn't referring to pregap. It's referring
to 'preemphasis'.

 n the very early days of CDs (early 80s), this was a hack to allow
studios to directly press CD from masters that had originally been
made for vinyl records, which use a preemphasis curve.  These days,
nearly all old recordings have been remastered for CD and new masters
are made without preemphasis.  I haven't seen a CD with preemphasis in
over 20 years.

As for pre-gap, it's up to the CDROM whether reading the pregap is
supported at all.  Many cdrom drives are unable to access it.  If the
CDROM is pregap capable and the disc has a pregap, it can be ripped as
'track 0'.

Monty