[Paranoia] "Lossless" Audio Codecs & flac

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Sat Jul 12 17:01:24 PDT 2008

Casey McGinty wrote:
> If you doubt the compression, you can always uncompress your FLAC files and
> compare the FLAC WAVs to the original WAV files from the CDs.

I compared by converting both to raw PCM (with sox) and compared those
instead because I wasn't particularly interested header info
preservation.  I only cared about the samples.  Turns out that the same
samples were in both, in the right order, and the number of the samples
were the same (in fact the raw PCM files were identical), so I concluded
that FLAC did right by me and now I use FLAC.