[Paranoia] "Lossless" Audio Codecs & flac

Randy Johnson illuminetics at bendbroadband.com
Sat Jul 12 15:23:46 PDT 2008

Just signed up...

When it comes to ripping audio CD's from the standard "Redbook" CDA - 16 bit bytes @ 44.1 kHz format to a computer's drive, which of the (250+) codec's available provide the least amount of loss? I don't care about disc space, just the best possible reproduction of the sound from the original source.

I use flac frequently, but the "l" in flac is questionable. After all, how can you compress data to <60% without any loss at all?

Randy