[Paranoia] sg_write kernel logging flood

Douglas Gilbert dgilbert at interlog.com
Sun Jul 8 19:52:13 PDT 2007

Tobias Jakobi wrote:
> Hi there paranoia devs,
>
> I was hoping to find here an answer to this problem:
> I just updated my system to linux kernel 2.6.21 and also switched to the
> new ATA layer. Now mplayer (which internally seems to use cdparanoia)
> also needs the kernel sg module to get access to the optical drives (I
> use mplayer for CDDA playback). I modprobed sg and could playback the
> CDDAs, but as long as data is extracted from the drive the kernel log is
> filled with:
>
> sg_write: data in/out 16464/16464 bytes for SCSI command 0xbe--guessing
> data in;
>    program mplayer not setting count and/or reply_len properly
>
> I found that this problem is not new:
> http://readlist.com/lists/vger.kernel.org/linux-kernel/25/125901.html

This warning was added to the sg driver (not by me) to
annoy the crap out of maintainers (and users) of apps that:
   1) continue to use the sg version 2 or earlier interface, and
   2) use the old interface in a slightly ambiguous way

The sg version 3 interface has been available since lk 2.4.0
which seems to postdate the version of cdparanoia that you are
using. Surely there are newer versions of cdparanoia around
that don't have this problem.

> Sadly it still exists, and even when usiny cdparanoia (standalone) it
> fills the kernel log. Now I'm searching for a (non-hacky) patch to get
> this working correctly. I could comment out the logging command from
> sg.c, but that would be more a hack. Any idea how to fix this?
>
> uname -a:
> Linux voodoomaster 2.6.21-gentoo-r3 #1 Sat Jul 7 20:10:22 CEST 2007
> x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
>
> cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
> (C) 2001 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

March 23, 2001 ???

Doug Gilbert