[Paranoia] sg_write kernel logging flood

Tobias Jakobi liquid.acid at gmx.net
Sun Jul 8 13:23:55 PDT 2007

Hi there paranoia devs,

I was hoping to find here an answer to this problem:
I just updated my system to linux kernel 2.6.21 and also switched to the
new ATA layer. Now mplayer (which internally seems to use cdparanoia)
also needs the kernel sg module to get access to the optical drives (I
use mplayer for CDDA playback). I modprobed sg and could playback the
CDDAs, but as long as data is extracted from the drive the kernel log is
filled with:

sg_write: data in/out 16464/16464 bytes for SCSI command 0xbe--guessing
data in;
   program mplayer not setting count and/or reply_len properly

I found that this problem is not new:
http://readlist.com/lists/vger.kernel.org/linux-kernel/25/125901.html

Sadly it still exists, and even when usiny cdparanoia (standalone) it
fills the kernel log. Now I'm searching for a (non-hacky) patch to get
this working correctly. I could comment out the logging command from
sg.c, but that would be more a hack. Any idea how to fix this?

uname -a:
Linux voodoomaster 2.6.21-gentoo-r3 #1 Sat Jul 7 20:10:22 CEST 2007
x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Thanks,
Tobias