[Paranoia] Bug reading audio cd without -g parameter

Stefan Fleiter stefan.fleiter at web.de
Wed Aug 29 09:01:57 PDT 2007

Hi,

I must revise what I have said.
I'm quite sure it was like I said, I could rip audio with
cdparanoia-III-alpha9.8 without the -g parameter.

But after your mail I tested the scenario again several times
and the result is:

I can only rip audio if I add the -g parameter, no matter what
cdparanoia version I use.
I am very sorry for my could have led to the wrong direction.

> It is not a cdparanoia bug; your kernel has a direction setting bug
> that was fixed a few months ago.  On a recent kernel, actually, the
> opposite is true; not using -g works and using -g causes the flood of
> bogus syslog entries because Jens wasn't paying attention while
> updating the block/SG drivers.

I have a recent kernel:
# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.22-10-generic (buildd at palmer) (gcc version 4.1.3 20070812
(prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-15ubuntu2)) #1 SMP Wed Aug 22 08:11:52 GMT 2007

And syslog is flooded if I add the -g parameter.
The amazing fact is it only functions if I add -g which then produces these
error messages.
And yes: I tested this a lot of times now. :-)

What can we do now to further track the problem down?

Greetings and thanks a lot for your response,
Stefan Fleiter