[Paranoia] cdparanoia and cache

Wolf-Ruediger Juergens wjuergens at t-online.de
Thu Oct 5 09:17:32 PDT 2006

Hi,
I'm planning to rip my complete CD collection (~700CDs) and I will use
cdparanoia for that. Yesterday I downloaded the newest src and after a
few minutes I could use cdparanoia. I know that there is a problem with
the newer drives which caches the audio stream. My CD-Rom is a Plextor
Premium who has this problem.
So I googled for a solution and find a promising hint. Increasing the
readahead value should do the job.

After a grep i changed the following:
paranoia/p_block.c at the end is
---------------------------------
cdrom_paranoia *paranoia_init(cdrom_drive *d){
  cdrom_paranoia *p=calloc(1,sizeof(cdrom_paranoia));

  p->cache=new_list((void *)&i_cblock_constructor,
		    (void *)&i_cblock_destructor);

  p->fragments=new_list((void *)&i_vfragment_constructor,
			(void *)&i_v_fragment_destructor);

  p->readahead=1200; /* orig. 150 for 1M Cache */
                     /* now  8 times more for 8 M Cache (Plextor) */

So it works for me but is this all?

Regards
Wolf

--
Reich ist man nicht durch das, was man besitzt, sondern durch das,
was man mit Würde zu entbehren weiß. (E. Kant)