[Paranoia] CD Ripping Uncertainty Again

Eric Sandeen sandeen at sandeen.net
Thu Mar 23 10:32:38 PST 2006

Alex wrote:
> I noticed something else. I tried three separate rips, and checked the
> results with diff. The three different rips of the good tracks are
> identical; each of the bad track rip is different.

I've seen this too FWIW - usually also corresponded to which drive I was using
- i.e. scratched CD in noname drive, different rips.  Same CD in a plextor,
consistent rips.

A fun way to look at the resulting differences is with wavdiff:
http://www.sommerfee.de/programme.html

I think I had to fix it up just a little to make it build on linux FWIW.

-Eric