[Paranoia] CD Ripping Uncertainty Again

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Thu Mar 23 08:11:12 PST 2006

This issue has been discussed before ("CD Ripping Uncertainty
Principle", Sept. 2004), but I don't think there was any resolution.

I use cdparanoia III release 9.8 on Mac OS X (options -vBf -z=10) to
rip a CD with a bad scratch. The rip goes through, and cdparanoia
reports no problem whatsoever. But on listening, the track is bad, and
very clearly so. I try three different drives (Plextor, LiteOn,
Pioneer), same thing.

Then I try EAC on Win XP. Reaching the problematic track, EAC reports
read error/sync error and aborts.

So, at this point, I can't trust rips made by cdparanoia. Can anything
be done about it?

thanx