[Paranoia] Need help making a decent audio copy

Sebastian sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Sat Jun 25 01:45:46 PDT 2005

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I have never seen '-' afaik. But '+' I get
occasionally. I tried -O 667, but then I had problems with the last
track. cdparanoia just stalls and doesn't finish:

(== PROGRESS == [                             > | 339399 00 ] == :-0
==)

But then I read some more on the web and it came to my mind I went into
the wrong direction. I came to think of it like I already have an offset
of +667 and with -O 667 I would add another 667 samples to the offset,
resulting in a total of 1334 samples offset. So I tried -O -667 instead.
But using a negative value results in the first track not being ripped.
Now it stalls in the beginning:

(== PROGRESS == [>                             0| ...... 06 ] == :-0 0
==)

On the web there were 18 people reporting this drive's offset as 667,
though. But anyway, it doesn't work.

Another thing I read is that one should'nt try to fix the offset,
because not only the drives can have one but also every CD has one. Not
every CD seems to start at the same point that is, because maybe this
isn't specified in the red book, or CD makers do not exactly follow the
book. Well, I don't really understand this matter. But it still would be
nice if when you rip a wav on two different machines they come out
exactly the same (same md5 sums).

Cheers

Sebastian
On Do, Jun 23, 2005 at 08:24:46 -0400, Monty wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 03:27:29PM +0200, Sebastian wrote:
> > Over at http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm it says that my
> > drive has a Sample Offset of +667. I tried cdparanoia with "-O 667" and
> > without and the resulting wav's had different md5 sums so I take it
> > cdparanoia doesn't adjust the offset automatically.
>
> Do you get any '+' or '-' markers during ripping?
>
> Most likely what's happening is if things become shifted or jittered
> in a section of complete silence, there's no entropy to know it
> happened.  If the drive ever returns a '+' or a '-', then it doesn't
> have a constant offset.
>
> > After that being said, is the following command
> >
> > cdparanoia -z -O 667
> >
> > the one that'll give me the best possible copy?
>
> Yes.
>
> Monty

"What the f*** are we doing out here in the middle of the desert?" - A foreigner, probably Samoan