[Paranoia] Ripping scratched CDs: hangups

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Jun 14 09:51:04 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 08:38 -0600, Kim Lux wrote:
> First of all, thanks to the authors of cdparanoia for building a great
> utility.
>
> I've got a beef with cdparanoia.  It seems to hang when I rip a
> scratched CD, even though said CD will play fine (to my ear) on the same
> cdrom drive.  I've been using cdparanoia occasionally for 2 years on
> different machines and all the combinations have had this problem.
>
> When I say hang, what happens is the Rip indicator goes to 0.2x or less
> and the drive spins endlessly.  I can abort the rip and encode OK,
> although that used to freeze the entire system.

So just because there wasn't a great answer posted -- if you strace the
process, is it still going?  Or is it waiting on the device?

If it's waiting on the device, then the cd drive's firmware is probably
trying to do error correction itself, and there's probably not a good
way to fix it.  It might be possible if there's a setting that can be
changed on the drive, but we'd need documentation from the manufacturer
for that.

--
        Peter