[Paranoia] cdparanoia | cdrecord

Aaron Birenboim eunichs at boim.com
Sat Jan 29 06:14:51 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 17:04, Gerard Robin wrote:
> hello,
> I am new on the list.
>
> cdparanoia and cdrecord run fine when I use the hard disk to copy
> an audio CD.(cdparanoia -B and cdrecord dev=ATA:1,1,0 .....)

cdparanoia is very thourough, but very slow.
I'd say that about 2x real-time is typical for a modern
computer.

Set the speed on cdrecord to 1 and see if it works.

Unless there's some information indicating that it
will work to do as you have suggested to copy an audio
CD, I'm not sure it will.
I think there might be a table of contents on an
audio CD, so cdrecord might want to scan all inputs
before a write.  It might work in some sort of append
mode, but then its not a redbook audio CD.

Check out CDRDAO (or similar).  Thats a disk-at-once mode
recorder.  This is the standard for audio CD.
See if that program might be able to read the cdparanoia TOC
file, and then accept a sequence of tracks to build a
standard audio CD.

something like "dd if=/dev/cdrom0 bs=???? | cdrecord ..."
might work well enough on a new source CD.
If there are errors, they are unlikely to be enough
to cause trouble.  (CD-Roms have a lot of error-correction
build into the encoding.  I think its a 11-bits-data
for 23-bits-encoded reed-solomon code)

Anybody know a good block-size to use for dumping data
from a CD-Rom device?

I'm not speaking from experience of even knowledge
here, just guessing.
I won't be offended if somebody else points out my ignorance in the
above response.
--
Aaron Birenboim         \    I have an inferiority complex,
Albuquerque, NM, USA     \       but its not a very good one.