[Paranoia] How to run cdparanoia with linux 2.6.8?

Dale E. Martin dale at the-martins.org
Fri Jan 28 05:40:09 PST 2005

OK, so I'm running Debian (testing/sarge) on a box with Debian's 2.6.8
kernel.  Up until recently I was using 2.4.x and ide-scsi.  I've seen bits
and pieces of the "ide-scsi" controversy but not followed it closely.  I've
noticed for "cdrecord" I have to say "dev=ATA:1,0,0" now but then it seems
to work fine.

What's the preferred method for cdparanoia now - i.e. should cdparanoia
just work well with the "cdrom" module?  What's this stuff about "scsi
command filtering", is that something that I need a kernel module for
and/or need to worry about?

This is a new box I'm running on, with a NEC ND-3500AG DVD/RW, and if I
just run "abcde" it goes much slower than my old machine (which had a
crusty old Ricoh 4x CD-Burner in it that ripped much faster!) I'm trying to
figure out if it's hardware or software.

Thanks!
        Dale
Dale E. Martin - dale at the-martins.org
http://the-martins.org/~dmartin