[Paranoia] copy protection

Aaron Birenboim eunichs at boim.com
Thu Jan 20 08:31:22 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 09:04, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Aaron Birenboim wrote:

> > > Clearly you would rather use paranoia, but there are other tools, cdda2wav
> > > uses the (old) paranoia library,
> >
> > OH MY!   cdda2wav actually seems to work on these disks (so far!!!!)
> > WOW!
> >
> > At least I don't seem to be fighting some mysterious new
> > copy-protection scheme (the disks my friend cannot rip,
> > but can play on Windows, were purchased last month)...
> > we are now talking about some problem with the
> > new cdparanoia... or my system.
>
> Before you get too overjoyed, I have to say that the problem may be with
> the new paranoia, but it may be that there is a problem reading the CD and
> the old library isn't picking up on it. Unlikely, but possible.

Since the owner of this disks was able to play them,
but not rip them on windows, I would think it is
possible that there was a problem reading the CD and the old
library didn't pick up on it.  Thats the way
copy-protection works, right?
They don't quite follow the redbook standard, so that
there are errors that cause rippers to puke, but
players ignore them and try to carry on.  no?

               aaron