[Paranoia] copy protection

Aaron Birenboim eunichs at boim.com
Wed Jan 19 07:10:35 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 15:14, Peter Jones wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 09:18 -0700, Aaron Birenboim wrote:
> > I have some disks which I cannot rip.
> > This is a new experience for me.
> >

> What CDs?  And how do they fail to rip?  What does cdparanoia say?

fairly typical music CD's.
(Details sent in private response)

They have pops and some repeats (like a skipping CD)
on the rip.
paranoia reports V's and !'s.

> > xmms seems to be able to play them.
> >
> > I am running 2.6 kernel, and using the IDE-ATAPI device.
> >
> > Will it help me to go to SCSI-generic emulation on
> > the 2.6 kernel?  (I thought 2.6 improved IDE, so that
> > was not necessary)
> > Do I really have to remove IDE-ATAPI from 2.6 kernel
> > to get this to work? (Can I just load a SCSI-generic module
> > and use /dev/sg2?)
>
> At the moment, it unfortunately depends on where you got cdparanoia.

I was running from svn to xiph.org.
I think i updated and re-tried yesterday morning, similar results.

> Unfortunately, I haven't merged that code into the svn repo for
> cdparanoia yet, or done a release with it, so I don't think other
> distros are using that yet.

I'm on debian, so it never occurred to me to get a redhat FC3 package.
I can try.

Similar results (one may have reported all zeros though...)
on both my ancient CD-ROM, and fairly new (but very cheap)
DVD-RW.

Wasn't there a command to probe the PCI/IDE bus and get some
sort of vendor code from the hardware?
If so...  I wouldn't mind being reminded, then I can positively
ID the hardware.

I have ripped other CD's from this drive.

> In general, sg and ide-scsi are the way of the past, and need to be done
> away with in a very serious way.
>
> > I'm shocked that I'm not seeing more traffic about this
> > copy protection.  Googling "copy protection" cdparanoia, I mostly
> > get pages claiming that cdparanoia is robust to copy protection.
>
> It's possible that copy protection isn't the problem; I won't know at
> all until I see the output from cdparanoia.  Even then, I still might
> not.  I've never actually seen a copy protected CD.

I will be happy to send any output you want.
Just let me know if you have any extra flags you want (like -v...?)
Also let me know if I should get the latest FC3 RPM, or if
you have more updates since the release... perhaps we
could synch through xiph.org or was there a version at sourceforge?
--
Aaron Birenboim         \    I have an inferiority complex,
Albuquerque, NM, USA     \       but its not a very good one.