[Paranoia] General questions about ripping audio

Jack Pistachio jackpistachio at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 09:24:48 PDT 2005

The main difference is the error control coding (ECC) used
in the CDDA format and a regular data CD with an ISO
filesystem.  Data cds use an added layer of ECC which
provides much more robustness, but more overhead in terms
of disk space.  The physical read and various firmwares
will generally be more error prone for an audio cd.
cdparanoia was designed to use various techniques (much of
which I am unfamiliar) to recovered the original desired
data.