[Paranoia] riping takes longer with each CD

Russell L. Harris rlharris at broadcaster.org
Mon Aug 1 21:41:35 PDT 2005

I did a fresh install (network download from Debian mirror) of Debian
Sarge testing on a 1700 MHz Celeron system with 256 MB RAM and a Plextor
PX-230A E-IDE ATAPI CD-R/RW.  The Plextor drive is new.

I began ripping a set of audio CDs (spoken word, possibly the same set
of Bible CDs mentioned in the December 2003 list discussion "Major
cdparanoia weirdness"), in order to convert the material to MP3 format
for use in a portable MP3 player.  Each CD has between 10 and 25 tracks.

I am executing cdparanoia as a normal user from the command line, with
the command:

   $ cdparanoia -B

With each of several attempts, I am seeing similar behaviour:  on the
first two or three CDs, ripping takes a total of four to five minutes
per CD.  But on subsequent CDs, ripping takes twenty minutes or more.
Whether quick or slow, the rips appear to be without flaw.

If I reboot the system and rip one of the CDs which previously took
twenty minutes to rip, the process takes only four or five minutes.

I tried using the 'eject' command after each rip, rather than simply
pressing the button on the front of the drive, but subsequent rips still
are slow.

RLH